This page will help to familiarize you with the CrossFit methodology, the 10 physical skills that we strive to improve every day as well as the 9 foundational movements (+ 3 additional movements) that you will be exposed to throughout your fitness journey with us. If you’d like to learn more, continue reading below. If you still have questions, please fill out the form at the bottom of our ‘Contact‘ page and we will be more than happy to help!
WHAT IS CROSSFIT?
– CONSTANTLY VARIED HIGH INTENSITY FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT DESIGNED FOR UNIVERSAL SCALABILITY. –
CrossFit itself is defined as that which optimizes fitness. It utilizes Olympic weightlifting, basic gymnastics and functional movements to increase strength and improve conditioning. Whether you’re a 65 year old grandparent who is just learning to squat or a 20 year old running back trying to make the university football team, CrossFit will improve every aspect of your fitness.
10 COMPONENTS OF FITNESS
1. CARDIOVASCULAR/RESPIRATORY ENDURANCEThe ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
2. STAMINAThe ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
3. STRENGTHThe ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units to apply force.
4. FLEXIBILITYThe ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. POWERThe ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. SPEEDThe ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
7. COORDINATIONThe ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movements.
8. AGILITYThe ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. BALANCEThe ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
10. ACCURACYThe ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
Courtesy of Dynamax, Inc.
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CROSSFIT (VIDEO)
CrossFit is many things. Primarily, it’s a fitness regimen developed by Coach Greg Glassman over several decades. He was the first person in history to define fitness in a meaningful, measurable way (increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains).
CrossFit is also the community that spontaneously arises when people do these workouts together. In fact, the communal aspect of CrossFit is a key component of why it’s so effective.
Courtesy of CrossFit Inc.